To refund a payment from your Square Dashboard:
- Log in to the Transactions tab of the Square Dashboard.
- Click on the payment you’d like to refund, then click Issue Refund at the top right corner.
- Enter the amount you’d like to refund and the reason you’re refunding the payment, then click Issue Refund.
For an illustration of what this will look like, check out our video tutorial:
To refund a payment from the Square app:
- Tap the three horizontal lines > Activity.
- Scroll through your payment history, search for the payment using the receipt or card number, or swipe the card used for the payment.
- Tap on the payment you'd like to refund > Issue Refund.
- If you need to refund a partial amount of the total sale, enter the amount you wish to refund.
- Select a reason for the refund > Refund.
How to refund in Rose?
- If a refund or exchange occurs you have to find the item in the appropriate day's sales batch within Rose and delete that particular item(s) sale from that day's sales batch regardless of the refund or exchange in Square. To do that, alter the batch, click on the search field below and enter the SKU or account # of the consignor/vendor. Then alter and click "delete item sale". That will delete the sale from the batch. If you don't delete sales out of a sales batch for returned items, you'll be paying a consignor/vendor for a sale that didn't happen.
- Because of this complexity, it's best to limit refunds/returns, or make sure to post your sales batches outside your customer return window if you can if you except returns with any frequency. This will keep you from paying your consignors for something that you ultimately didn't sell and not having to re-inventory sold items that you have already posted to a consignor's account.
- Many consignment stores do not accept returns or do refunds for this reason. Our suggestion is to be as customer friendly as you can afford to. Generally speaking, it's always better to err on the side of the customer.
How do I remove a sold item that was returned and the sales has already been posted to a from a consignor/vendor's account and they haven't been paid for yet?
- Go to the consignor's account within the Contract Screen.
- Click on the Payout button at the top of the screen.
- Find the sold item within the Account Activity.
- Highlight the item that needs to be deleted and click on Delete Activity.
- The balance will automatically adjust after an item is deleted.
How do I adjust a Consignor's balance after an item has sold?
- It's a good practice to adjust a consignor's balance sparingly as any adjustments made to a consignor's balance will be reflected in their account activity that they see.
- Click on the Transactions button at the top of the Contracts Screen.
- Type the amount in the amount field that you want to adjust the account by.
- In the Transaction Type field drop down menu, select the type of adjustment that you want to make.
- Fee and Charge both subtract from a consignor's balance while Refund adds to the balance.
- To adjust the entire balance, you can select "Adjust Account Balance" by scrolling to the bottom of the Transaction Type drop down menu. Select this will reset the balance to the amount you input